you are forgiven if you have never heard of Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park in British Columbia. i had never heard of it either until trying to plan a backcountry trip in the Canadian Rockies.
up until this trip i would have said that Glacier NP in MT was my favorite mountain hiking destination.
photos from our trip
|Backpacking in Assiniboine Provincial Park – Jul 2013|
the last night, a group of women who were there painting all week hosted an art show/sale and the lodge provided the wine.
i will comment on the food in 3 sections
- reviews of backpacker food
In Banff we only had one night, but we did stumble upon a few decent finds. We had a nice and hearty dinner of fondue and Swiss food at a Swiss-Italian restaurant called Ticino. Interestingly, one of the women working at the lodge in Assiniboine who is a Olympic hopeful cross-country skier is the daughter of the owners here. Look for Hiedi Widmer in the 2014 Winter Olympics. The Wild Flour Bakery and Cafe had good coffee as well as pastries and sandwiches.
In the mountains we relied solely on freeze dried meals. here is a quick recap:
- pad thai by Backpacker’s Pantry (BP) – decent, filling, a bit spicy
- chana masala by BP – just ok, very spicy
- katmandu curry by BP – my personal favorite, a nice mix of lentils and rice and not too spicy
- noodles and chicken by Mountain House (MH) – this was also among my favorites and not spicy at all. would be great for kids too.
- chili mac by MH (i think?)- Bob says this one is the best but we did find any for this trip
Right after we exited the backcountry our first quest was to find decent food and drink in Canmore. We found good beer and pizza with fresh ingredients at the Rocky Mountain Flatbread Co.
In Calgary, we had one last night before heading back to the US. We were universally told to get steak because Alberta is famous for its beef. There seemed to be at least 3 or 4 top places to choose from and we settled on Char Cut Roast House in the downtown area. Aside from the meaty appetizer board with house made sausages and a great beer and cocktail lineup, it was some of the best steak i have ever had.